Sunday, September 11, 2011

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Read: June 16-24, 2011
read in 9 days
pages: 425


Not a bad read. Not amazing but interesting enough to keep me reading through the series. What helps is the fact that I own the first two novels and the final book as well in the series. I'm intrigued with the novel because of the plot line. For starters it has an the sci-fi appeal of a civilization that is altered surgically in such a way that they become "Pretty" and completely happy. There are different surgeries that the characters face at age 16. A lobotomy in a way is one of the many little "fixes" that take place. I'd recommend the book to anyone interested in sci-fi and alternate societies. The story has the feel of the short story "The Ones who Walk away from Omelas" by Ursula K. LeGuin (who is a great sci-fi writer by the way).

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...