Friday, October 5, 2012

The Hollow (The Hollow #1) by Jessica Verday

Read: September 25- October 4, 2012
read in 9 days (FAR TOO LONG!)
pages: 509


Book blurb:
When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.

Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her—one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.



Once again I was sucked into a book by a gorgeous cover. But hey I fully admit I browse for covers and for titles that intrigue me enough to pull the thing off the shelf!! The story sounded like there would be a decent amount of suspense what with this big secret Abbey discovers her friend Kristen has been hiding. Now that Kristen is gone you would expect to find Abbey on a hunt to find out what this secret was and why her friend was keeping it from her. At least that is what the author alludes to in the blurb AND the trailer of the book. THAT however is not really what happens. 

So what happens? Not a lot. Which is a big reason why it took so dang long to read this book. There is nothing much going on, and for just over 500 pages that is really FRUSTRATING!! There is no build up in tension, no huge climax and no real conflict. I was also disappointed to be so annoyed with the Abbey character since the entire book is in her head and told in her point of view. She meets this stranger Caspian and literally becomes obsessed. He never once mentions they should become boyfriend/girlfriend but Abbey convinces herself that they are. I think it was a far stretch in her grieving process if that can be used as any kind of justification as to why she comes to this conclusion. It does however explain why she is an emotional wreck for the entire length of the novel.

I didn't keep any notes whatsoever on this novel as I've been doing pretty religiously since I've started writing these reviews regularly. I don't have anything great to highlight in the novel but I don't have anything all that negative to say either. Well if I could highlight one thing it would be the fact that Abbey made perfumes. THAT was very fascinating and I really wish the author would have went into that more. I really like when a novel can introduce me to something completely different and unique, something I've never thought of and strike a new interest for me. This was the one thing that caught me.

This is the first book in the series, but after being so frustrated while reading this novel and not developing any partial feelings to the characters I will not be continuing on. And this is not one of those oh, maybe....maybe once I've had time apart from the novel I'll change my mind should I stumble upon it in the library. Nope. Definitely not. I'm done here no matter what this secret may be that Kristen had. She can keep it I don't want to know.

2 comments:

  1. I love the background on your blog! Beautiful! You have a new follower here! I have a couple giveaways going on right now if you'd like to enter, one is about to end! Just click on the giveaways tab to check them out. I would love it if you would stop by for a visit. Here's the link if you would like to follow back: MaMa's Book Corner Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am SUCH a slacker! I plan to do better in the new year! Thanks for the compliment on the blog and the follow!! I'll hop over and find you as well!

    ReplyDelete

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...