Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Crimson Labyrinth by Yusuke Kishi

ead: January 22-27, 2011
read in 5 days
pages: 288


TALK ABOUT TWISTED!!!

This was a truly creepy novel. I read about this novel in a magazine for the library when I was working there. The magazine was listing and providing reviews on these books for the library to purchase. This was one that one of the branches actually had so I checked it out. Yikes!

This book has I believe it was 6-8 characters who are kidnapped when they answer an ad in the paper. The character point of view witnessed in the narrative is going on a potential job interview. Let's just say this gives a whole new meaning to verifying the source first, and learning about the potential employer FIRST!

So the character is plopped down in the middle of this place that is desert like and is described as what reminds me to be equivalent to the Grand Canyon....never been there but I picture this :

Ok imagine yourself in the very bottom of this, say down in between all the canyons. That's the feel I got from this novel. Now do you remember those books "choose your own adventure"? Take that and apply that to this novel. These characters are forced into a Survivor type situation with these hand held game devices that allow them to choose their path as they go. After the initial meet up with the other characters we find that we don't exactly trust one another, and really just want to get the hell out of here and QUICK! One catch....don't try to scale those walls. Even if you could manage it and not fall to your death, there are people watching your every move. Waiting for you to try; waiting to kill you if you try to escape the game. Cause we eventually find out that this is in fact a game. Depending on the provisions you select when the meet up occurs, you may go crazy sooner rather than later. You may be forced to enact desperate measures. You may become the predator and your fellow players become the prey. Literally. Hannibal Lector would be so proud of these players, and would fit right in with a few of them.

I finished the novel and I won't give away the end. I do not care to remember much more than the horrible thoughts I have in my head of the story now. I was and still am repulsed by the novel. I will not recommend this to the weak at heart and stomach.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

On a side note: It worries me at times to know that things like this can be conceived and written, then what sick things are really going on in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...