Sunday, September 11, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Read: May 1-9, 2011
read in 8 days
pages: 470


** spoiler alert ** For me, once I adjusted to the flow of reading, and at times it felt like re-reading, this young womans last day 7 times I ended up liking the book much more than I thought I would.

I liked that as each new day progressed she learned more about herself and about the people around her. She came to see the things about her friends that she hated, but at the same time realized that despite those things she loved them too. She adjusted little events in each day so that by the 7th and final day she knew exactly what she needed to do and what needed to happen on her last day for things to be ok in the end. I liked that for me as the reader I did not expect the ending. I thought maybe just maybe the author was going to give us the happy ending we always like to get. I admit I'm glad she didn't.

It was sad to realize that everything she came to understand in those repeating days it was already too late to change. She could change it on her final 7th day, but in the end things were over and she would be remembered by not only the way she had been, which was not the greatest person, but also for the strange new woman she would have become had life given her a second chance. This week, those 7 days and her 7th day in particular was her chance at a second chance to make things right.

I'd recommend the book. Its a good read (if you can stand to read the same day 7 times). Makes you think about how you are living your life. It emphasizes the finality of things and drives home the notion that nothing lasts forever.

Great cover as well. Reminiscent of the Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...