Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede, Caroline Stevermer

Read: July 30-August 5, 2011
read in a week
pages: 336


Sooooo difficult to read!!! It really shouldn't be. There should be a warning label that warns the reader immediately. It too me far too long to read this book. It very nearly took a month and I'm not a slow reader by any means.

I did like some aspects of the books for instance I liked the male characters and thought they were contrasting enough to have a voice of their own.....the female characters....Cecilia and Kate however did not. I really liked the concept that the novel is epistolary and the format was part of the reason I was attracted to the book (that and the cover which has been revamped as this is actually a book released in the mid 1980's - the revamp I believe was because there is some magic (though never explained)...and thanks to Harry Potter making all things magical popular again the author was given an opportunity to push her book I suppose).

What I didn't like was that since Kate and Cecilia didn't have very distinctive voices I was lost each time I'd pick the book back up. I would wonder which character I was with and which town I was in. This was a major turn off. I had abandoned the book at one point, but decided to give it another chance. I don't regret finishing it because I did want to see how things ended; I will not pick up another book by this author let alone the next in this Cecilia and Kate series though. And I will not recommend it to anyone.

Kudos on the cover though, cause that is OF COURSE why I picked it up in the first place.

Funny story is that when I took this book back to the library, the librarian asked me to explain it to her because it looked like a good read. I attempted to and she said "okay nevermind then. I was thinking it would be a quick little read!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...