Saturday, April 6, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Read: March 17-31, 2012
read in: 15 days
pages: 452

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)

I had been waiting for this book since I finished Cinder. I was debating was really up in the air over whether or not I would continue reading the series. I liked the Cinder character enough, but was a little unsure as to how the writer was going to introduce a new character when we didn't completely have an ending to Cinder's story. That being said, I did like the way the writer was able to keep an equal balance of both the new character Scarlet and Cinder's story throughout this book. I thought it was going to be a bit long as it is 450 pages, but the book never felt like it was off in the pacing nor did it feel there was filler.

I was still put off a bit initially when I started the book, wasn't sure I could buy into the missing grandmother, a play on the Little Red Riding Hood tale, but it worked very well. For me what kept me interested in this story are the futuristic aspects, the fact of Cinder being a cyborg and also the way in which the society seems to be put off by it. I love those elements. The use of the technology is really interesting. I liked the way the story has progressed and we are gradually learning more about Cinder as the book is beginning to show the overall arc of this story line. It appears with this book that we are about to have a rebellion and that I can't wait for. I'm ready to see more action. This novel definitely had more action that the previous since there were many altercations what with Cinder's adventure and Scarlet's as well.

So I think I've found myself committed to this series and awaiting the next in the series. Not sure what story the writer will take on next, but I hope she's just as successful with it as she has been in the past. Scarlet, much like Cinder left us with a bit of unresolved material so maybe there will be a flashback in the next novel that ties up some material that was left uncovered. I really liked how we learned Cinder's ending, the references to Cinderella worked very well with her ending, and I enjoyed the way it was introduced in Scarlet through the net screens in the bar. Very well done I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...