Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Night Watchman Express by Alison DeLuca

Read: January 14-19, 2012
read in 5 days
pages: 324



The book follows Marian after her father has died and new guardians take over her home and her fathers business. They are some shady characters and Marian is out to figure out what is going on. Two other main characters are introduced fairly early, Simon the son of the guardians and Neil his poor friend. All great characters and I liked the story, but I was a bit disappointed with the second half of the book because while it had been following the young girl during the transition of new guardians taking over her home and her father's business, the second half there was a great split in terms of the story and where the characters were going. I understand the intended connection, but it didn't entirely work for me. Following Neil was interesting and there was a whole new set of characters to meet, but the way things were written it felt a bit disjointed. I'm thinking the second book will pick up with Marian and Simon after they were kidnapped. And if that be the case it would feel to me that things would have made more sense being split within the same book. For instance every other chapter or so split between the two story lines. I'll continue with the story either way because I am curious to see where things go. There isn't a great ending. It just sort of stops. The extra chapters may help, but I'll get to that with the actual book.

This was another free book from Amazon. I was very impressed to not have found an error until after that point. Being a free book, I have come to expect a few errors here and there, and this one has the least amount of errors I've seen with ebooks. Big plus!! As I write this the second book is also free, so I got that the other night. Hoping it will wrap up some loose ends that were left hanging in the end of this book. Another book that does not actually end at 100%, it was more like 94% with a few bonus chapters from the next book. Since I was able to snag the second book while it was free I didn't bother with reading them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...