Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mirage (Winterhaven #2) by Kristi Cook

Read: August 22-26, 2012
read in 5 days
pages: 384

Mirage by Kristi Cook

The second installment in the Winterhaven series takes up at the beginning of senior year for the same cast of characters we met in the first book and one new introduction: Tyler. The intervening summertime is summarized that Violet had spent the summer taking care of her Gran who had suffered a stroke. After arranging for a care taker to stay with Gran and Lupe Violet feels a bit more at ease when returning to school. She returns to school anticipating the return of Aidan as the two have been separated for the whole summer. After last years fiasco with Julius Violet is hoping for a much calmer year. And from my reading and feel of the novel things are relatively calm and there really is no action or tension that builds over the course of this novel. I didn't feel a sense of urgency or a real climax that was in need of being solved as the first book had.

Violet still has her visions to deal with but lucks out when a certain handsome teacher offers to help her as he has similar psychic abilities himself. He works with Violet and helps her to recall her visions so that she can begin to make sense of them and get details so that she might alter the endings. The main vision she comes back to time and time again is a vision of Aidan attacking her childhood friend Whiteny. While this is troubling I just didn't see it as a strong tension builder. The only events that could be seen as tension building, and its a bit of a stretch at that, may be the struggles Aidan has with working towards a cure, and even that is only peripheral because Violet does not work with Aidan in the lab. 

Violet also has the discovery of a little more information about her Sabbat origin to deal with. The information is vague and seemingly sketchy. She refuses to accept her destiny because she feels her free will is what will allow her to make up her own mind. When confronted with the chance to explore the meaning of the information however she runs rather than confronts the issue. It is her fate however and she must one day face it.

The climax that is given in the book is wrapped up way too quickly and I don't feel that was a very satisfactory ending. I don't like when books end just pages after the climax. Not that things were wrapped up in a tight little bow either. It was kind of a jilted ending and ends with Violet vowing to herself to make sense of things between her and Aidan as well as to understand her status as a Sabbat. It was not much of a conclusion and was very open ended.

I'd recommend it I suppose to anyone who read the first one and was curious to see where things were going. I may pick up the next book, but I'm not completely committed at this point. You can check the review for Haven as well in my blog.

I found the book trailer and I'll link it here. I don't really care much for it but its all that I found.



No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...