Thursday, August 16, 2012

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Read: August 9-15, 2012
read in a week
pages: 327

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12)

Sookie is coming to realize that her life is not entirely as she desires it to be. Her relationship with Eric is strained and has been for the last couple of books. They love each other but Eric has so many obligations in his vampire world that he hardly has time to make the relationship function outside the confines of the bedroom. Not that I am complaining because reading this series it has become a staple for there to be a good romp in the bedroom. But lately Harris' novels are lacking in that department. So I will complain a little. This one for instance has one scene and it fails terribly. It was glossed over, we see no heat or any of the passion. All we get is Sookie commenting that she left her trouble behind for a good 15 minutes. 15 minutes?! Really? That's it?? Oh come on. I know that Viking has more than 15 minutes in him!! That was a huge let down after the previous scenes with Eric.

While I know originally I was going to stop reading these novels since they have been weak and trailing downward quickly, but I was in the library and while I kept looking when I was in there, the book was never on the shelf. One time I happened upon it and thought what the heck I'll continue. I've been this far with this series this year I may as well see it through. Because I am curious as to where this will end with Sookie. I can see that the relationship with Eric has run its course and needs to be put to bed....well or to death. Jeez there is just no good way to say it, so lets just move on shall we? I'd actually been considering Bill once again despite the crap he pulled just because I remember how happy she was with him. But there is the betrayal. So not sure that will ever happen again or if anything beyond a fling would be possible or IF the two should get together again or not. 

With this novel though there are some changes in Sookie and her view on her life. She can see all these mostly stable and functioning relationships around her and she realizes she does not have that. She also sees that continuing down her path she will never have children and its starting to weigh on her after seeing Tara and J.B.'s twins. So it is likely Sookie may be changing direction. I'd like to see her with Sam honestly. Especially after this novel. I won't give away the details, but I will say I had tears in my eyes and was ready to throw the book across the room if the scene didn't pan out the way I'd wanted. Luckily there was a quick shift and things righted themselves. Thank goodness and I was glad to end on a high note. Well a higher note considering the rest of the novel. There are some definite twists here that I did not see coming, and it was an entertaining read.

On the whole I'd say if you are sticking with the series to see the end, well then do so. I don't think as a loyal reader you will be disappointed. You'll likely see what I mean when I say I am disappointed and I am not almost equally (though I've not actually sat down to tally it). There are just some things I'd like to have seen done a little differently, but it is easy to see that there are some loose ends being tied up here and we are looking at a finale of some sort soon. Its been quite a ride and I'm glad I've read the series. I've really come to enjoy reading about these characters even though they tend to be a bit out dated.

2 comments:

  1. I still need to read this book. The last few have definitely been a letdown. And I completely agree about Sam!! I want those two together. Maybe I should read this sooner rather than later. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! When I started the book I was not very impressed, but the end made up for it to me anyway. Let me know your thoughts when you read it!

    ReplyDelete

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...