Monday, July 30, 2012

Haven (Winterhaven #1) by Kristi Cook

Read: July 25-28, 2012
read in 4 days
pages: 401


When I started the book I'm not quite sure what I was expecting. Girl is given the option to either live with her Gran to stay in the same school OR move to NY and attend a boarding school. Hmm which option to choose? Obviously the boarding school. Once getting to said boarding school Violet meets a mysterious boy who later plays a big role in her new life. After meeting her roommate Violet is suddenly surrounded by an amazing group of friends which is unlike her past. She has always struggled to keep everyone at a distance because she has these visions or premonitions that tend to be about the people she loves. The kicker is they always come true, and they are never wrong. On the second day of school however Violet learns she is not the freak she has always thought she was. Turns out the boarding school is a school FOR teenagers with psychic "gifts". They are told to sign an agreement that they will not use their "gifts" to cheat or to expose themselves to outsiders. So having these magical abilities and attending a boarding school where they learn to use these abilities and where these abilities will be beneficial in life....I start thinking this sounds a bit to me like the whole Harry Potter deal. Not completely I agree, but the going to school away from home and finally feeling as though you fit in...yeah that whole vibe is here too.

Comparisons do not end there!

Remember the mysterious boy I mentioned? Let's see how to describe him....I would say he is super smart, gorgeous and also a loner. He has never given much attention to anyone, but enter Violet and suddenly Aidan is interested. They get put together thanks to some workings of the school and soon tension and a relationship start forming. For instance he starts saving her from little run ins around the school and becomes over protective. Sound familiar? Oh yeah it goes one further.....he has more than psychic abilities....hes also vampire. Yes he is a bit like the Cullen boy in that regard. At least her Kristi Cook plays around with the vampire traits and everything is not exactly the same.

As we need for there to be a story at all there is a conflict that begins and must be resolved within the last 20-30 pages while also creating a relationship between Violet and Aidan while still leaving room for an additional overall story arc that will allow the novel to become not a stand alone, but a SERIES! Of course its a series. We don't seem to write stand alone novels anymore!

Now will I pick up said series further? Yes I will. Why? Well for the same reason I continued the novel despite its glaringly similar elements....I liked the characters. I wasn't overwhelmingly annoyed with Violet as I am with another character who shall remain nameless. So would I recommend it? Yes. IF you don't mind the similarities and find the characters likable. Give it 30 pages or so. If you don't hate it continue it. That's what I did anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...