Friday, August 10, 2012

Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist #3) by Rick Yancey

Read: July 28- August 9, 2012
read in little less than 13 days
pages: 558

The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)


I can't begin to write a review that is going to do this book justice. This is the third installment in the Monstrumologist series and they just get better and better as the series continues. I love the characters Will Henry and even the harsh Pellinore Warthrope and enjoy following them alone their journeys of discovery. The author has a magnificent grasp of the SHOW not TELL aspect of writing. There were so many times when I was reading this novel that I thought ugh I could have done without that description! But honestly that just added to the story telling and made things more real and believable.  While the field of aberrant biology, the study of monsters, may not exist in OUR reality, within THIS world it very much DOES!

This installment follows Will Henry and the Doctor to the Isle of Blood, where they are in search of the magnificum. What is the magnificum? To be honest in the end I'm not able to explain it, but I at least somewhat understand it! Although this novel felt less action filled than the prior novels, there is still alot going on that adds to the overall arch of the story. I'm hoping against all odds that despite the fact that this seems to be lesser known than other series out there that somehow the author continues to get the approval to write the rest of this story.

I liked the development of the characters as well as the gradual introduction of elements concerning Will Henry's life. The novels are construed as Will Henry's journals about his adventures as the Doctor's apprentice, and this was the first point that I started to wonder more about this little boy and what happens to him as he gets older. I'm really looking forward to the next book and hoping to learn even more about this brave young boy.

I highly recommend this book for anyone out there looking for a great, surprising, and at times shocking read. There is at times a little gore involved, but what do you expect from an author who does so well with the SHOW don't TELL way of writing? The parts where the gore is involved makes you feel as though you are literally there alongside the Doctor and Will Henry.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon these books a couple years ago. There is so much going on that you really have to start at book one, and trust me if you do you will be hooked. I was and continue to be surprised how hooked I get each time I pick up the next book. Hopefully this piqued enough interest that you go find book one and give it a read!


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...