Monday, October 31, 2011

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore

Read: October 22-31, 2011
read in 10 days
pages: 293


I was hoping to be more wow'd by this book, as it was a very cute cover and a clever title I thought, and was pretty happy to have stumbled upon it at the library when I was literally browsing every shelf for a random book to read. Turns out it was just ok. I was not wow'd and while the title of another of her books sounds good as well I'm not thinking of reading it after this one let me down.

I did like the southern down home feel. I liked the country phrases and while the characters were religious to an extent, I did not feel as though I were being hit over the head with the religion. So yay, big plus there.

What didn't work for me was while I understand the reason for the bok being split into four parts because there was some stuff Catherine Grace dealt with in each of the sections. What didn't work for me was the third section how it seemed to lack any form. I don't mind a novel throwing in some epistolary sections, in fact I tend to enjoy them, but this felt incredibly disjointed, which if the author was going for that feel then kudos it worked, however it seems more like a happy accident. The section revolves around Catherine Grace being away from home and maybe that was the need for the disjointed feel. Makes sense to me if I try to rationalize it that way.

Anyways a two star book. It was kind of funny that I stumbled across the book that deals with a young girl in Georgia as she grows up. AND IT WAS IN THE ADULT FICTION SECTION! So here I am reading an "adult" book and I'm still reading about teens. Probably why I liked it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...