Thursday, October 20, 2011

Battle Royale Volume 1 by Koushun Takami, Masayuki Taguchi

Read: October 16-20, 2011
read in 4 days
pages: 672


I'm still not sure what I should rate this book. I didn't hate Battle Royale, it is tolerable in a very twisted and sick way. While it is incredibly violent and reminds me very much of the The Crimson Labyrinth which I had a hard time with I was not as opposed to this as I was the novel. I'm not sure why the novel version of a similar idea of "survival of the fittest" bothered me more than this manga/graphic novel did. I'd think that seeing the images drawn out for me would have been worse. Course I'm not saying the images are tame by ANY MEANS and that it didn't bother me cause it did. This is incredibly graphic and could turn the stomach of some sensitive readers. While it didn't bother my stomach, it does make my heart race and makes me very tense. I'm literally jumpy as I sit here and type this. Crazy? Maybe but that's the honest to goodness truth.

The first night I read a chunk of this, and it reads super quick given the format and the intensity of which is pulls you in. It keeps you reading to see what will happen next, who will be the next victim and I found that I HAD to read a different book, something much lighter AND watch a half hour comedy sitcom before I felt calm enough to turn the lights out and go to sleep. That said I am definitely giving myself a breather between the first book and the second book.

I'd recommend the book to anyone curious about the concept of "survival of the fittest", anyone not weak of heart or stomach. I think this is the kind of book that will stick with you. It will not be easily left behind. If you are not interested in feeling anything as you read, well by all means by pass this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...