Sunday, July 28, 2013

Evermore (The Immortals #1) by Alyson Noel

Read: July 4-27, 2013
read: took far too long
pages: 301

Evermore (The Immortals, #1)

Book blurb:

After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact to suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school — but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste.

Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head - wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is - or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.


I'm finding more and more that I really can't tolerate some of this Young Adult stuff that is out there. Some are decent reads and I am not at all put off by the fact that it is Young Adult. But THIS, this is the kind of stuff that annoys the crap out of me. I finished it. It was a terrible struggle, but I did finish it. I'm not the target audience sure, but then I know even if I were I wouldn't have enjoyed this. I mean jeez a guy who is completely mysterious who really does not share anything with you, who flirts with other girls and really isn't all that great to you, but somehow you fall madly in love with him?!?

What annoys me the most about these books is there is nothing remotely original to this story or this book. I found myself thinking of other books I've read that had similar concepts that I enjoyed much more! The idea of reincarnation is interesting, but I enjoyed the book series The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller MUCH more. And the falling for a mysterious boy has been done time and time again. He rarely eats, he drinks this strange red liquid....can we say hints of Twilight by Stephanie Meyer here?

At least now I'm done and I can mark the book off my list, AND the entire series for that matter. So I've cleaned up my reading list a bit just by reading one book! I guess I'd recommend this to the target audience, but even then I'd hope the girls could find something with a bit more substance to read. I really hate to think girls would model themselves after this character or even wish they could live a life like hers. I cringe at that thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...