Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

Read: July 22-24, 2013
read in 3 days
pages: 180

The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)

Book blurb:

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

This was my first read of the Nancy Drew novels. I've been reading some of the graphic novels that are bit more updated than this series that was originally released in the 1930's and they are decent little reads. The novel format is much the same with a little more detail than the graphic novels which has to do with the different format I believe.

Either way this was a nice short read and I may continue with the series, I see there are many more books and many more different series, but I think I'll start with some other reading in between these. This could get a little boring if I were only reading strictly these books. They are junior fiction and sometimes my adult brain likes these little books that don't require much brain power, other times my brain needs something with actual substance!!

What I find to most interesting about these books is that the entire series was written by a group of ghost writers and that the books were published but then re-edited and re-released starting around 1959 to eliminate racist stereotypes. I find that annoying. It was a piece of literature, while not high literature mind you but literature, that was and is still like a time-capsule that showed the time period in which it was written. I hate how things have to be changed due to people's sensitivities to such things. It reminds me of the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four by Orwell. Let's not scrub our history and hide what things were really like. Let's let it be so children of the future can see what times were really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...