Saturday, July 14, 2012

Author Highlight: Interview with Darcy Town

Hello all! 
I've had the wonderful opportunity of interviewing Darcy Town, author of The Wastes series and the Morningstar series. She was gracious enough to answer some questions about not only TheWastes series but The Morningstar series as well. I am excited to be able to share the interview with you.  

What inspired you to write Wastes of Space?
I was inspired by a combination of a few things.  I saw a particular piece of artwork by an artist that goes by Hamlet Machine (I admire her art.  Her stuff is very adult…so forewarned).  The drawing is a simple piece: a girl and her protector in a sci-fi setting.  That character dynamic clicked with me.  My other published books are all about adults.  For Wastes, I wanted to write something that also featured young adults.  I play with ageism a lot in the Wastes series…aka judging a person by the number of years they’ve lived instead of what kind of years they’ve lived.  Ravil is the poster-child for this concept.  A reader doesn’t know how old she is, she doesn’t know how old she is, and when you think you know how old she is…you still have a lot to learn.  ;)
I also wanted to write dark sci-fi with a character that was a real anti-hero.  I see many “bad boys” in books that are basically just snide jerks and they’re labeled an anti-hero.  I wrote a guy that hasn’t just had bad stuff happen to him; he’s the one doing bad stuff and it is stuff that a reader might be uncomfortable with.  Rake’s a drug-addicted washout that sells his body to get his next fix.  He cheats people out of their money, he robs them, and he kills others with ease.  Ravil isn’t kidding when she says he grosses her out…and that feeling is supposed to be shared with a reader. 


The world of Wastes seems strange, yet it is very familiar to our world. Can you tell me a little more about the world you envisioned for the Wastes series?
Sure thing.  In my mind, the major difference between our two worlds is that the space race didn’t wind down.  Instead, it became intertwined with the Cold War as the major front of war.  To control space meant you controlled a vast spy, defense, and offensive network.  To that end, space exploration was solely for militaristic purposes. 
China, the USA, and the USSR began to gobble up smaller countries under the name of preserving their style of rule.  In the US, Barry Goldwater was elected President and the ultra-paranoid, hawkish nationalism amped up from there.  Instead of interfering with each other directly or preventing expansion, the big three empires focused on arming, getting into space quickly, and then defending what they controlled from on high.  They created various programs that brought children up prepared to be soldiers.  Rake, Katarina, Mica, Oro and the others were raised training to become pilots to eventually defend their empire.   
Besides that, things are pretty much the same. 


For some people, the novel may push the envelope a little too far and it really does a great job of exposing and exploring topics that may be uncomfortable, even unacceptable to some; what were your concerns if you had any when you began creating this world and these characters?
I’ve always had concerns that people might get weirded out by the drug use, prostitution, age gaps in relationships, and the things they might not see everyday like cross dressers, transgendered individuals, and hookers and throw the book down…but I want to make people think about why they go “Eww” or “That’s too much of X for me.”  I want people to read about and even have to identify with characters that take them out of their comfort zone.  I think it’s good to expand one’s viewpoint as opposed to always reading safe, sterile, “normative” characters.  Besides…writing “safe” characters isn’t my strong suit.  My other books have Lucifer as your sympathetic male lead.
But, I do worry that I’ll get hate mail someday for the topics I address…but I can’t write my characters any other way.  They are who they are, and they’ll love whoever they’ll love.


Wastes is peopled with a wide array of characters and I admit I love them all. When writing up your characters do you use characteristics of people you know or have met in your own life?
Yes, but I limit it to the side characters.  My main characters are generally wholly made up. 
When I do, do it, I take it a bit further than borrowing characteristics.  I write people I know into the story.  It’s a fun game on my part, because I generally tell my character influences who they are in the story.  That way they get attached to them and I can harass them by threatening their character in the story.  I suppose that’s mean, but it’s always meant to be fun and people seem to enjoy it. 
The real examples of that don’t show up until books two, three, and four in the Wastes series: Wastes Away; Waste Not, Want Not; Wasting Time.  There you start to get characters inspired by my friends, my sister, my parents, and even my cat.  Hunters are just big cats after all. 


I’m a big Star Wars fan and really enjoyed the references in Wastes of Space. What inspired you to add that element to your series?
I think I was maybe several dozen pages into the story when it happened.  I was over at a friend’s house playing table top dice games (nerd here).  One of my friends was considering running a Star Wars game next.  My friends started talking about the extended Star Wars universe, like ancient history and post movies stuff.  I was familiar with the original three movies, but not the other information.  As the conversation went past an hour and into a second hour, I realized I wanted to write a character (or set of characters) that was as into Star Wars as these guys.  I think it makes sense for my American astronauts, who’ve been training since they were children, to be huge Star Wars fans.  The concept went from there and expanded from Rake, to the squad, and now their love of Star Wars colors the whole series.  I play around with the quotes and their Star Wars call signs a lot.


From your blog posts, I gather you are working on another book in the Wastes series, any idea on a proposed release date, or when you would like to have it released by?
Books 1 through 6 are written.  Right now, I’m working on two things: finishing book 7 (Wasted), and proofing book 3 (Waste Not, Want Not).  I’m looking to have Waste Not, Want Not out this summer, hopefully late August.  My other project is Wasted.  It is the biggest book I’ve written and it’s not done at nearly 300k word count.  I’m slowly chugging away at that one.  I like to have a large chunk of material between what’s ready to be read by readers and what I’m actually writing.  It takes the stress off me.


I read that Wastes of Space is not your only published work, can you tell me about the Morningstar series?
The Morningstar Trilogy is a set of three books: Morningstar, Evenstar, and Daystar.  It is a dark comedy, much like Wastes, but instead of aliens, it’s angels.  The basic concept is that Lucifer Morningstar and his lover, Ladriam Evenstar, were parted long ago and she was imprisoned.  That imprisonment started the war in Heaven.  Losing the war, Lucifer was cast down to Earth along with the Archangels that had sided with him in their attempt to free her.  Fast-forward to today and Ladriam escapes Heaven, but loses her body and memories.  She’s reborn in a human, Dahlia, and goes through her life up until twenty-five not really knowing anything other than her constant dreams and nightmares about angels.  In book one, an angel falls and tells Lucifer of her escape, the pair meet again, hijinks ensue, and there is plenty of violence as the Heavenly Hosts are still out looking for their escapee.  Overall, I keep the book lighthearted, because books two and three can get quite dark.
It’s a lot like Wastes in terms of characters that are not the norm.  My fallen angels are ultra-violent, but they have a huge soft sweet spot for Dahlia.  They like shopping, baking cookies, partying, murdering humans, assaulting each other, and generally causing mayhem.  It’s different from Wastes in that instead of having Ravil keeping a secret from everyone else, in Morningstar all the other characters are keeping Dahlia’s real identity a secret from her…lest she freak out.  Books two and three dive into the ramping up of the war against Heaven, the return of their lost powers, and some serious battles with Archangels. 


How long would you say you have been writing, and was writing something you knew you always wanted to pursue?
I’ve been writing since I was eleven or twelve, but I didn’t start to consider it something I could do for real until I was seventeen or eighteen.  Even once I’d realized it, it still took me a good six to seven years to finish one book, but once that damn broke, I haven’t looked back.


Who are some authors you read that you feel really inspire you in your own writing?
Terry Pratchett, Storm Constantine, Tad Williams, Neal Stephenson, and Philip Pullman.


Bio: 

I am a writer and a University of Washington graduate living in Western Washington. I studied Comparative Religion and now I work at a bank, writing in all of my spare time.

I write what I enjoy reading/watching – which is fantasy/sci-fi with dark humor and a bit of romance. What I consider romance however is to some…a bit off (and kinked out). And when I say dark humor I mean black. But I always have lighthearted moments (I do not believe a story should be all one way or another). Gotta spice things up!

Speaking of…I like to write stories that cater to all sexual preferences in one story (as opposed to just writing gay/lesbian lit, etc). I have your typical male-female romances. I have male-male, female-female, transgender, bi-sexual, sub-dom, etc. This is mostly due to the fact that well…1. I like writing about it. 2. I see it in my everyday life. 3. I like having a well-rounded cast of characters from all walks of life.

I also love making cocktails and I’m a certified bartender in the state of Washington.


I want to send out a big thanks to Darcy for allowing me to read and review Wastes of Space and for taking time out of her busy schedule to answer what I thought was a few simple questions, but I think I really made her think! Glad she took the time and didn't call me crazy! Thanks for being a good sport and I look forward to reading more of your novels soon.

You can find Wastes of Space at AmazonBarnes and Noble and createspace.com.
You can follow Ms. Town at her blog Navigators and Demons and on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...