Sunday, April 22, 2012

I am Half Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

Read: April 8-15, 2012
read in a week
pages:  293


I loved the opening of this book! The ice rink Flavia describes is incredible and her deduction of how she went about creating it inside the house by easily flooding the portrait gallery sounded spot on for a typical Flavia style incident. I can see this actually happening and was disappointed to find this was a cross between a dream and a day dream. DRAT!

Another crime another mystery for Flavia to solve before the police get in there and disrupt the evidence for the young detective. Quite the adventure occurs and we find Flavia caught in the middle. Oddly enough despite the evidence Flavia discovers and keeps to herself but later shares with the police inspector we come to find the police had came to the same conclusions as Flavia, which hints to their improvement in crime solving, despite having followed different routes.

Aside from the opening my favorite incident in the novel is when Flavia is searching for clues in the cupboard skimming old movie magazines. She has copies of Silver Cine and Tit Bits and is reading all the gossip of the past in cinema under a bare bulb. Given the age of the magazines they are quite the fire hazard and Falvia accidently gets the magazine too close causing a small fire. She then removes her cardigan and proceeds to stomp out the fire. After the mishaps Flavia is seen by Dogger, the servant/gardener, who barely bats an eyelash seeing her put her scorched sweater back on. In classic Flavia response she simply states "unforeseen chemical reaction" and goes on about her business. Love it!

I look forward to more adventures should the author write more books. I had emailed the author to question about Falvia's parents relationship because it always seemed odd to me that both her parents names were De Luce, and my only conclusion was that they were cousins of some kind, but there is never any indication to this connection. The response I got was that I was not going to get the info from the author because it was in the novel and it would spoil my reading. Well shocker it was in this novel and lightly grazed over by implicating that they were cousins but no real detail was given. I was a bit disappointed that I figured that one out and had hoped for more depth. Oh well. I enjoyed the book either way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...