Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Juliet Club by Suzanne Harper

Read: April 22-25, 2012
read in 4 days
pages: 402


I wavered a bit between giving 3 or 4 stars, but could change my mind again. The book reminded me a bit of the movie Letters to Juliet only because the story wound up taking place entirely in Italy. The premise to get to Italy, a well written essay in a contest that happened to be a trip to Italy to participate in a Shakespeare seminar, was pretty far fetched but I looked past that. There was a great deal of emphasis on Shakespeare and a twist and retelling of the Romeo and Juliet story within the plot of this story that it could turn some people off. It worked for me though..

So of course touching on the story of Romeo and Juliet, OF COURSE our lead character Kate HAD to fall for the SON of her (divorced) father's arch rival of the academia world Professoressa Francesca Marchese. You know the whole family feud thing. For and added twist....her father just so happens to fall for his rival in the end. Because given time the impossible is possible.

The characters are likable enough. Another similarity to the movie Letters to Juliet is the fact that these characters deal with the actual letters that are written to Juliet. The young teens are given letters that are also written by teens and are asked to write back answers in the way in which Juliet is thought to have responded. I enjoyed this concept. There wasn't a lot done with it and I wish more focus could have been put on it.

All in all I enjoyed the book and would re-read it if I were to have a copy of it. I'd find it as a used copy and buy it but I don't think I would purposely search for a new copy. I recommend to any Shakespeare fans and anyone who likes an innocent love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...