Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The City of Ember (Book of Ember #1) by Jeanne DuPrau

Read: November 2, 2013
read in a day
pages: 270

The City of Ember (The Ember Series, #1)

Book blurb:

The city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race. Two hundred years later, the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker. When Lina finds part of an ancient message, she’s sure it holds a secret that will save the city. She and her friend Doon must decipher the message before the lights go out on Ember forever! This stunning debut novel offers refreshingly clear writing and fascinating, original characters.

Wow. I can't believe I was so into this book. I really had no idea what to expect, but I was completely blown away and sucked in. The dystopian aspect was a large part of what sucked me in. I love the idea of someone imagining a world different from ours and creating a whole new place. The characters are great. I loved following Lina around and seeing things through her eyes. This is the classic young children/teens taking on the world around them with little help from adults because the adults just don't see the world the same way the young people do. They attempt to get the adults involved, but are turned away and are even hunted as fugitives who are going against the way of Ember. After finishing this book I couldn't wait to start the next book and to get the whole series. I look forward to seeing just what happens to these people as they explore the new world before them. This is highly recommend especially to those who don't really get into science fiction. This is not heavy on the sci-fi but has just enough touches to get you into that world without being overwhelming.


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...