Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

Read: May5-10, 2013
read in: 6 days
pages: 289

The Silver Linings Playbook

So why did I decide to read this novel? 


My mom was telling me about this movie and how she thought it looked good. I got on the library website when I knew the movie had been released to DVD and found a few listings. So apparently it was a novel. Did not know this and since I really enjoy reading the book and then seeing the movie I thought I'd try the book. So while I sit on hold in line for the book at 1100 out of 1800, well I am not surprised that I was able to get the book, read it and still be on hold for the movie!!

Book Blurb:

Meet Pat. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending for him -- the return of his estranged wide Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent time in a mental health facility.) The problem is, Pat's now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he's being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he's being hunted by Kenny G!

In this enchanting novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat's mind, showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. As the award-winning novelist Justin Cronin put it: "Tender, soulful, hilarious, and true, The Silver Linings Playbook is a wonderful debut."

The minute I started reading this novel I was drawn in. I really liked the voice of the character Pat and while his perspective is very off kilter it was entertaining being inside his head for the duration of this novel. I rooted for Pat to recover and get well, I almost wanted him to get back with Nikki, but I just knew there was something that was going to prevent this from becoming a reality. The whole time I read I kept thinking this guy is going to snap. One of these times he is really going to snap. And surely he had to have snapped sometime earlier that lead to his being a patient for quite some time in a neural facility that he calls "the bad place". 

I'm not going to give away any details, but I will recommend this book. I think it is heartfelt and honest. I'll leave it to you the reader to find out for their self if Pat finds his silver lining and happy ending in the movie that is his life.

1 comment:

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...