Monday, May 6, 2013

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Read: April 28- May 5, 2013
read in: 8 days
pages: 418

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)


Book Blurb:

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?



This was a pretty entertaining read and I'm glad I decided to pick it up after all this time I've wondered about it. I liked that it read pretty quickly and once I started I didn't really want to put it down. I enjoyed the setting of Prague. I don't know how much research the author did as far as accuracy is concerned but I don't get too finicky about some details. This did get a bit heavy on the romance and I noticed the character Karou lost a bit of her toughness we see in the beginning as she falls for Akiva. I tend to prefer stronger female leads than the weaker, and while I didn't like this aspect of this novel I did still overall enjoy the book.

I'll likely continue the series if nothing else just to see what happens. This book leaves a cliff-hanger, which I really dislike in a series, but at least the second book has been published and I will be able to read it fairly soon rather than wait a year or more for the second book. The final book however that may require a wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...