Saturday, November 12, 2011

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

Read November 5-12, 2011
read in a week
pages: 424


Wow. Well I hate that I put off reading this as long as I did because after all I was not disappointed. I was a bit worried after I had read a few reviews. I hate that I read the reviews because sometimes they can sway my opinion without my meaning to let them. I was going into this a little frustrated with the author in the first place because she went ahead and signed on to write three more additional books to a series that was great as a trilogy and was only intended to be a trilogy. I remember reading the third book, City of Glass, thinking surely she could write more because Clary in the end is just getting exposed to this whole new world of the Shadowhunters and she really has no idea what it is all about or what it means to know she is a Shadwhunter. It would be perfect to explore that in additional books. Not to mention it would give the relationship between Clary and Jace the much deserved attention the trilogy could not give them. It drove me crazy the whole trilogy just waiting to see if the two would ever have their chance together or not.

Anyways, so it took me a while to start the book. Even as I sat down to read I couldn't really get into the book at first. I was still a bit standoffish about it really worried what would happen with the story. At first it felt that the new point of view, that now became the trio of Simon, Clary and Jace, was throwing things off because the trilogy was strictly Clary. The characters did not seem the same which given that things were from Clary's point of view originally the reader never really gets to know the other characters but in relation to her until this book. It opened things up a bit more now that we are actually in Simon's and Jace's head to where as before we really only saw them through Clary's eyes. After I commited one evening of hardcore reading to it and had gotten about 150 pages in THEN I was getting more interested. With another 50 pages I was HOOKED!! I did not want to put the book down much like I was with the first three books.

In the end the book did not disappoint me, it did intrigue me and I'm very curious to see where in the world the author is going to go now. I was worried that something might happen to one of the main characters and I honestly would have stopped with this series had that been the case. I really like these characters and had one been killed I'd have been upset with that. I won't give anything else away, I'll just say if you really enjoyed the first three and you really liked the characters then at least give this one a try. Hopefully you'll be nicely surprised as well. Unfortunately the fifth book will not be released until May 2012, and I am going to hate the wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...