Thursday, September 19, 2013

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Read: August 31-September 8, 2013
read in 9 days
pages: 326

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Book blurb:

Meet Oskar Schell, an inventor, Francophile, tambourine player, Shakespearean actor, jeweler, pacifist, correspondent with Stephen Hawking and Ringo Starr. He is nine years old. And he is on an urgent, secret search through the five boroughs of New York. His mission is to find the lock that fits a mysterious key belonging to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11.

An inspired innocent, Oskar is alternately endearing, exasperating, and hilarious as he careens from Central Park to Coney Island to Harlem on his search. Along the way he is always dreaming up inventions to keep those he loves safe from harm. What about a birdseed shirt to let you fly away? What if you could actually hear everyone's heartbeat? His goal is hopeful, but the past speaks a loud warning in stories of those who've lost loved ones before. As Oskar roams New York, he encounters a motley assortment of humanity who are all survivors in their own way. He befriends a 103-year-old war reporter, a tour guide who never leaves the Empire State Building, and lovers enraptured or scorned. Ultimately, Oskar ends his journey where it began, at his father's grave. But now he is accompanied by the silent stranger who has been renting the spare room of his grandmother's apartment. They are there to dig up his father's empty coffin.

Wow, this was so good. I did make the mistake of reading a few reviews while I was in the middle of this book, but I have to say the reviews did not sway me away from this book. I read a couple that just gave this book 1 star and called the book cheesy and simple. I have to disagree. This was  a great book in my opinion. The movie was actually recommended to me, and the person that I am....I ALWAYS want to read the book BEFORE the movie. After having read this book though, I don't honestly think I can watch the movie no matter the actors in it or how well a job they do in the portrayal. I just know I'll be disappointed. And I was very satisfied with the novel. I don't want the enjoyment of reading the novel to be tinged with the dissatisfaction of watching the movie. I've found too often that elements and characters are changed. And not just the small stuff, but things that I felt were important to the story and how it was told and more importantly that cause a character to react the way they do. It can completely change the hole story and I'd rather not have that happen with this one.

For me this was a great novel because it literally had me moved to tears. I don't think I can say that of any other novel I've read. EVER. So to me that in itself was a big deal. I had to put this book down because I was crying so much. I highly recommend this book to others. I think this will encourage me to read more by Foer because I enjoyed this one so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...