Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Read: December 16-24, 2012
read in: too  a few days over the course of 9 days
pages: 211

The Lover's Dictionary

I found this little book in the library one of the last times I was in there. I really just stumbled upon it while skimming over the shelves and thought it had an interesting cover. So I pulled the book off the shelf and skimmed the jacket. Flipping through the pages I thought this really looked like something I'd like to read. The book has an unique format in the style of dictionary entries. Each page has an entry, some run over into two pages, that contain a word and an accompanying story or moment that encapsulates the author's interpretation of what that particular word meant in relation to his relationship. I liked lines and phrases here and there throughout the book and will likely pick up something else by the author one day. He has an way of looking at situations and describes them in ways that I find intriguing.

One of my favorite lines I found within the entry in the following entry:

punctuation v. "the key to a successful relationship isn't just in the words, it's in the punctuation. When you're in love with someone, a well-placed question mark can be the difference between bliss and disaster, and a deeply respected period or a cleverly inserted ellipsis can prevent all kinda of exclamations."


All in all it was a very quick read and I'm a little embarrassed it took me quite a few days to finish. I would only read for about 10-20 minutes of time each time I read so in all fairness it really only took a matter of hours to read not days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...