Monday, September 24, 2012

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2) by Kady Cross

Read: September 22-24, 2012
read in 3 days
pages: 416

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)

Bookblurb:
In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous. 

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. 

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.

I don't know if its because I JUST finished this book or if was a little more than that but I enjoyed this story much more than the one in The Girl in the Steel Corset. Part of it could be that I was already invested in these characters and was already rooting for them. I really liked these characters especially going into this novel. It took a good chunk of the last book for me to really want to stick with these characters and this story. I admit what got me was the relationship or the potential for a relationship between Finley and Griffin. I just had to see how this was going to play out so I picked up the next book. Luckily though Kady Cross does tease throughout this WHOLE book I was satisfied with where things seem to be going.

This novel gives the reader much more action than the first novel. I remember thinking the last novel things moved very quickly to a climax and an ending, but these wasn't quite enough build up. This one however was a bit more drawn out over the course of the novel which is what kept be interested aside from the maybe or maybe not relationships.

So the gang heads to NY to try to break Jasper Renn free after his being arrested by bounty hunters for murder charges at the end of the first novel. The gang wonders if they can believe the story or is the story wrong and they can truly trust their friend Jasper. In order to work their way in to getting Jasper, Finley comes up with a plan to join the ranks of Reno Dalton's gang of criminals. While her plan is crazy, one she does not consult with an overprotective Griffin, he later realizes the plan just might work. They are on a mission to stop Dalton in whatever his criminal goal may be and as the novel progresses they have countless run ins with him and a particularly annoying Miss Astor-Prynn who is determined to snag Griffin as her husband. In many chance meetings with Finley Miss Astor-Prynn attemps to be Finley in her place, or the place that Miss Astor-Prynn believes her to be in which is below her on the social ladder. This whole debacle between Astor-Prynn, Finley and Griffin was one of my favorites in the novel. Well that and Finley's hog tying a man dressed in her unmentionables! Love her bad ass attitude and that she takes zero crap from ANYONE Griffin included!

I won't give anything else away, and I don't really think I gave away too much as it is, BUT if you happen to read this novel let me know what you think about Mei. I'm still a little up in the air and I'm not sure if I really feel all that sympathetic towards her. Since we don't get much back story or anything on her in terms of why she acts the way she does, or at least has been acting I'm just not sure why she was compelled to act the way she did. I kinda wish Finley and her would have had another go around honestly and maybe we could have learned a bit more about her. But alas that did not happen.

I will for sure be picking up the next book in the series. I'm bummed I have to wait til next year but maybe it won't be too terribly long. I'm even more excited now to see where things go with this little gang. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys a little romance, steampunk themes and a good adventure. Oh and if you read the first book and were only so so on it this one may win you over!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of 2013 and Early 2014 Reading Recap

It has been so long since I last sat down to write here and I'd like to TRY to get back to it..... Easiest way to do that without k...